FEBRUARY 3rd 2011
NAPALM DEATH EXCLUSIVE
We,at MetalTitans got an exclusive chance to do a written interview with Shane Embury, the bassist of England's very own, Napalm Death. Forming in 1981, and now coming out this month in Europe and the United States, the guys are bringing out a new record called, Utilitarian.
For more information on this new record, and so much more..CHECK OUT THIS INTERVIEW !!!!
Welcome to MetalTitans, Guardians of Metal entertainment worldwide.
1. You will be releasing your newest album Utilitarian on Feb. 27 in Europe, and Feb.28 in North America-- do you expect a good response to your 14th album?
I would hope fans of our music will like the new record. That's never a guarantee, but we feel like this is a worthy successor to the last album, so yes, I hope so.
2. Do you have a favourite song on this album?
I like the track “Leper Colony”.
3. How long did it take from writing the songs to production?
We started writing a lot of the songs at the beginning of last year, although I had a few riffs left over from the last record as well and from jamming with the drummer. Recording the songs and the whole process took about five months, which is a short time, but we work quickly when we know it’s time to.
4. You have 16 songs, plus 2 bonus tracks-- that’s quite a few songs to have on an album. Why did you choose to do so many instead of maybe saving some for putting onto another album?
It’s just the way it happened. We always record a lot of songs and are in fact heading into the studio next month to record some songs for some split EPs that we want to do later on in the year.
5. You are considered the grind core/death metal leaders-- do you think of yourselves this way?
It’s an apt description, yes. As for leaders, well, there have been many bands in my opinion who influenced Napalm. We are just carrying on the torch, so to speak!
6. In your lyrics, you choose to bash politicians, etc. What made you decide to go this route? Is it something you are passionate about?
It’s been part of the band since its conception, and Barney feels very strongly about many subjects, so the path was already chosen really by the nature of the band.
7. Looks like you are on a intense touring schedule right now-- how is it going?
A slow start to the year, but it’s going to pick up very quickly. We are used to it though.
8. What’s your favourite food to eat while out on tour?
I eat lots of chicken and fish, as do the other guys. Barney is vegetarian though.
9. When you are on tour, is there a favourite city you like to perform in? Why?
I like many cities in Spain. No particular one-- we just have a lot of cool friends there. The same can be said for many cities though! Making new friends is the best thing about touring.
Thank you for taking the time to do this interview with MetalTitans. And we wish you much success on your tour and with the release of your new album UTILITARIAN.