DECEMBER 10th 2013
UPON YOUR GRAVE EXCLUSIVE
Welcome to Metaltitans, Guardians of Metal entertainment worldwide. We are here talking with Upon Your Grave, from Lévis (Qc), Canada. Thank you for taking the time to do this interview with us.
1. What made you pick the name UPON YOUR GRAVE for the band name ?
Nothing really, Alex and a former member were looking for a name and UYG came out randomly and it sounded metal so we stuck with it .
2. When did you decide to form a band ?
3. Why did you decide to play melodic black metal ? Was it something you have always planned ?
I don't think we play melodic black metal , if people think so , then so be it , but at the beginning we didn't plan to play any specific genre.
4. Did you have any influences in your life that made you decide to form a band ?
We all wanted to play music for a living , so I guess it just happened by itself.
5. You have 5 members, how did each of them come into the band ?
Jordan Jolicoeur - Voice. We had another singer at the beginning of the band but things didn't work out, we already knew him as a friend and we jammed together in the past so we decided he would fill in as the new singer.
Alex Grave - Guitars & Noize. I'm the one who started the band in the beginning of 2009.
Sim Diamond - Lead Guitar. Sim actually started on bass at the very beginning, then the line-up changed and he stood up as the new lead guitarist.
Marc Thériault - Bass. Marc joined the band this summer after we lost our former bass player Pat earlier this year. We knew Marc from playing in a local black metal band called Heritage Mystique.
Manuel Allaire-Durand - Drums & Percussions. Manu and Alex used to jam a lot together back in the day , I guess that’s where it all really started in a certain way! We've been friends for a long time even before we started getting into music.
6. Do you think or find it hard to get noticed in the metal world, as there are so many bands ?
Yeah , there are so many bands these days like you said , you really have to do it for the right reasons which is for the love of music, you got to be original and take the time to do things the right way and be at the right place at the right time, its all about timing and opportunities.
7. When you were younger, what type of music did you enjoy listening to ?
Mostly Punk and Classic Rock.
8. What’s the best part about being in a band ?
We've all been friends for a long time so its like being in a family, getting to live all these things together and having a blast doing it is the best part.
9. Is there a negative ?
We all have so many different influences that sometimes you cant always agree upon the same ideas.
10. You are soon to have your own debut album '' Eponym '' out November 28th, you don’t have a label listed, so how did you put this album all together ?
It’s a lot of work , we've done it all by ourselves and we have invested a lot of money into this also. There’s no secrets here, you have to work hard and find the people you need in the business to get what you want , without a label, its a lot of things to handle obviously and you don’t get as much media attention, so you got to do what you gotta do to get noticed.
11. How many songs can we expect on this CD ?
10 songs + 1 Bonus Track
12. What was your inspiration for your songs, and who wrote the lyrics for them ?
The typical everyday life inspired us at many levels including personal experiences , Jordan writes the biggest part of the lyrics, Alex helps him too.
13. Do you have a favourite song on this album ? Why that one ?
We all have a personal favorite so I guess it’s more of an individual question for this one, but I guess we can all say we love '' Not Enough ''.
14. You must have the artwork all completed now, so tell us who designed the cover artwork for it ?
Jordan came up with the concept and idea and it was realized by Montreal artist Félix Laflamme.
15. Once this album is released, November 28th, do you have any plans to do a tour in support ?
We’re still working on that for 2014 but for now we have 3 gigs coming up in the province of Quebec
Nov 30th - Montreal
Dec 7th - Québec
Dec 14th - Lévis
16. In 5 or more years, where do you think you will be in the metal industry ?
We'll see where life guides us! we all hope for the best .
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with METALTITANS. We wish you much success.